The Episcopal Church of the Cross (ECC)
Minister of Christian Formation (MCF)
Who We Are, and Who We Seek:
The ECC is a new community of faith located in the Lake Travis area of Western Travis County. The congregation worships in the cafeteria of a local elementary school on Sunday mornings, and is present in the broader community the rest of the week. ECC is the church home for about ninety people, with the conviction that God is calling us to witness, ministry, and service beyond ourselves.
We seek a faithful, energetic, creative person ready to grasp the opportunity to help shape a new community, and facilitate the faith formation of children, youth, and their families. This is a part-time position of up to twenty-five hours a week.
We recognize that the formation of resilient faith in young people is a cooperative effort of the church community and each individual household. We are seeking to build this formation ministry on these seven practices:
- Integration of faith into family identity and practice
- Fostering meaningful relationships between young people and other adults in the church.
- Fostering a community of friendship among both children and youth.
- Service in the name of Jesus.
- Creating safe environments for real questions.
- Engaging and meaningful worship in which children and youth participate.
- Strong programmatic ministry of the church for children, youth, and their families.
Working with the Senior Pastor and others, the ECC Minister of Christian Formation will:
- Facilitate a culture of faith formation in the households of the ECC according to our seven practices.
- Develop and train a community of volunteers to minister with the children and youth of the ECC.
- Be present for and oversee Sunday morning children’s ministry of the ECC.
- Schedule and implement regular ministry opportunities for ECC youth, their friends, and households.
- Meet regularly with the Senior Pastor for planning and accountability.
- Participate in all Safe Church trainings of the Episcopal Diocese of Texas.
Practices and Aptitudes:
- Regular, faithful, and personal disciplines of prayer, study, fellowship, and self-care are foundational to this ministry.
- ECC has no space of its own. We live out of a trailer, and worship in a school. Staff meetings are held in the local coffee shop. We are on the road and in the community a lot. As such, we are blessed with many opportunities, and flexibility, creativity, and initiative are valuable traits.
- In all parts of our lives, ECC is very much in formation. We are two years old and still just getting started. The Minister of Christian Formation understands that in helping to form the faith of children, youth, and their households they are also helping to form all of ECC as Jesus-followers.
- The Minister of Christian Formation will be fluent in the necessary forms of social media connection and communication.
- ECC is an Episcopal Church. While it is not a requirement that the Minister of Christian Formation be Episcopalian, it is essential that they respect and honor the traditions and practices of the Episcopal Church.
- Pay period is monthly.
- Two weeks paid vacation. The first week is available three months after employment begins.
- Compensation is competitive.
- All candidates will undergo a substantial background check.
- Work schedule is flexible.
Please send a resume to:
Pastor, Church of the Cross
PO Box 340821
Austin, TX 78734